Engineer with 30 years of broad based background in plant operations, production management, coordination, planning, pilot plants, solids handling, and safety hazards identification. Analytical. Excellent problem solving capabilities. Proven track record in turnaround situations and conflict resolution. Ability to organize, manage, and direct diverse functions and employee factors into an efficient operating unit.
AMOCO CHEMICAL COMPANY
1965 to January 1995
Senior Research Engineer - Research Center, Naperville. Illinois (1988 to January 1995)
Engineering Resins Manufacturing Coordinator - Joliet, Ill (1984 to 1988)
Plant Superintendent - Willow Springs, Illinois (1981 to 1984)
Operations Planning Coordinator - General Office, Chicago, Illinois (1978 to 1981)
Operating Supervisor - New Castle, Delaware (1975 to 1978)
Process Engineer & Process Supervisor - New Castle, Delaware (1965 to 1975)
PERTINENT PROJECT EXPERIENCE
Startups, Revamps, Process Improvement Projects:
- Designed and implemented numerous process and safety improvements such as: ventilation systems, automated temperature and flow controls, extruder screw configurations, die design, polymer purifications technique, material handling methods and others at polymer plants.
- Assisted in the design of a new Torlon manufacturing facility, coordinated the move to the new location and assisted in the start-up.
- Provided engineering services for Amoco’s Joliet, Illinois plant operation in the energy improvement program.
- During a four month troubleshooting project, identified and corrected major processing problems affecting product quality at Amoco’s Geel Belgium polypropylene plant
- Coordinated plant expansion projects at a polypropylene plant.
- Initiated and implemented multiple process improvement and trouble shooting projects in polymerization, extrusion, solvent recovery and utilities in polypropylene, polystyrene, and engineering resins plants.
- Coordinated two plant expansions for pharmaceutical client. One involved the production of a food supplement and the other involved the production of oncolytics and other high potency and high toxicity drugs (see CCC project profiles).
- Responsible for all production and utilities operations for a plant producing 300 million pounds/year of polypropylene. Supervised all production personnel and process supervisors (staff of 200+). Coordinated and implemented a profitability improvement program. Substantially reduced paperwork and reduced staffing by 15%.
- Responsible for all plant operations at the Amoco’s Willow Springs batch polystyrene production facility.
- Coordinated the polymerization and extrusion production of Amoco’s Torlon engineering resin within a contractor facility.
- Participated in evaluation of Union Carbide's engineering resins and carbon fiber facilities resulting in Amoco’s acquisition of this segment of Carbide’s business.
- Supervised Process Engineering & Planning group comprised of five engineers and ten technicians at the Amoco Research Center. Coordinated design and construction of experimental units providing progress and cost reports, phasing and timing projections. Developed technique and authored paper on mechanical craft cost and timing estimating for experimental unit construction/modification projects, and presented at the 1992 annual meeting of the American Association of Cost Engineers.
- Conducted two solids drying pilot studies for pharmaceutical client as part of plant expansion (see CCC project profiles). Selected drying system; had no downtime in its first year.
- Served as leader in four Hazard and Operability (HAZOP) studies under the Process Safety Management (PSM) processat Amoco.
- Developed and wrote operating and safety procedures at polymer plants.
- Performed risk assessment and air modeling for bulk chemical storage facility as part of entertainment complex siting study (see CCC project profiles).
- Conducted two accident investigations, one involving a chemical burn fatality and a second resulting in a serious burn injury (see CCC project profiles).
BS Chemical Engineering. Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1965
MBA Program. Drexel, University of Delaware and Widener College, 1966 to 1970; successfully completed course requirements without thesis.
× Certified HAZOP Leader, DNV Technica and Amoco, 1994
× Trained in Process Safety Management (PSM) process for OSHA 29 CFR 1910.119, June 1994.
× Group interaction for HAZOP leaders, July 1994.
American Institute of Chemical Engineers, member of Pilot Plant Committee.